Ways to help preventing fraud
If your card is lost, stolen or captured (from an ATM) you must notify CIRCLE as soon as you are aware by calling 1300 553 582.
If outside our normal office hours please call our hotline on 1800 648 027.
By following these steps you can help us prevent you from becoming a victim of card fraud:
- Keep your contact details up to date. Inform us of any changes to your home, work or mobile phone number so we can get in contact with you.
- Provide us with your contact details and travel itinerary before you go overseas so we won’t be alerted by unfamiliar transactions on your account.
- Immediately report any unusual transactions on your accounts.
- Be aware of attempts to copy or ‘skim’ your details from your card. Skimmers take an electronic copy of your card details and print them on fake cards. If a merchant swipes your card several times or tries to take your card out of sight, be suspicious.
How you can protect your card
- Sign your card as soon as you receive it using a pen.
- If your card has expired or you’re not using it anymore, destroy it immediately by cutting it into several pieces and disposing of them securely.
- Carry your card with you whenever you can and regularly check that you still have it.
- Don’t give your card to anyone else including friends or family.
- Treat your card as if it were cash, never leave it unattended.
- Remember to retrieve your card whenever you use it to make a purchase or make a transaction at an ATM.
- Never use an electronic banking terminal that does not look genuine, has been modified or has a suspicious device attached to it.
How you can protect your PIN and other security codes
It is important that your identification access codes are kept confidential. This includes your PIN, internet access code, if you have one and the secondary code you use when you call us.
- Memorise then destroy any notification we send you containing your PIN or access code
- If you need to make a record of your PIN or access code, make sure you disguise it and keep this away from your card.
- Don’t tell anyone your PIN or access codes, including friends or family. You may be liable for any fraud loss where you have not sufficiently protected your PIN or access codes or you have disclosed them.
- Never enter your card or PIN in an ATM that looks anyway suspicious.
- If you select your own internet password or telephone identification code, don’t select a number or word that can be easily guessed (such as part of the data imprinted on your card, a previously selected access code, consecutive numbers, one number repeated or numbers that form a pattern) or that can be easily associated with you such as your date of birth, telephone number, drivers licence number etc.
- Notify us immediately if your PIN mailer has not been received intact or is not received within 3 business days following the card delivery date
- Ensure no one watches you enter your PIN at an ATM or your password over the internet
- If you believe someone may have seen your PIN when completing a transaction contact CIRCLE on 1300 553 582.
- If you have any concerns about the security used by an organization do not provide your card details over the phone or internet.
- When travelling, be conscious of card security and keep your personal belongings safe and avoid using ATM’s in poorly lit areas.