There are many different forms of card fraud. The most common is that someone obtains your card details and uses them over the phone or online to make large purchases in your name.
To protect yourself from card fraud, follow these recommendations:
- When you first receive your new card, sign it immediately.
- If the card is a replacement, cut up your old card.
- Safeguard your card and PIN at all times, and never carry your card and PIN together.
- Always cover your PIN when using ATM and EFTPOS machines.
- If you believe an ATM has been tampered with, do not use it.
- Ensure that the ATM transaction has been completed before walking away.
- Be aware of anyone acting suspiciously near the ATM
- Be alert for anyone trying to observe you entering your PIN
- Always keep your card in sight during a transaction.
- When shopping online, only deal with reputable companies, and check for the padlock symbol and https:// address
- If you are going overseas, advise us prior to leaving so that we can monitor any overseas transactions.
- If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the card hotline on 1800 648 027.