Cheque books are like cash, especially if they fall into the wrong person’s hands.
To protect your cheque book, follow these simple tips:
- Keep your cheque book in a safe and secure place.
- When you first receive your cheque book, ensure all cheques are present. Report any discrepancies to us immediately.
- Never pre-sign cheques.
- Never give a person a signed cheque and ask them to complete the details.
- Do not use pencil to write your cheques. Use a biro or felt tip pen.
- Make sure that you fill out cheques fully so it cannot be easily altered. Place a line through unused spaces.
- Always cross cheques, marking them ‘not negotiable’ and make sure the payee is correctly identified.
- Always check your statements for any discrepancies.
- Always report any lost cheques or your cheque book immediately to us on 1300 553 582.