Stay Smart Online
Stay Smart Online is the Government's cyber security website designed to help Australians understand cyber security risks and educate home and small business users on the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online. The website is hosted by the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy and has received input and support from a range of other Australian Government agencies which have related responsibilities.
Stay Smart Online Basic Information
The internet has increasingly become part of our daily life. It provides a way for us to connect and communicate with the outside world. It's important to secure your computer properly-otherwise you may be putting yourself at risk. There are six simple things you can do to better protect yourself online:
- Install security software and update it regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates so all your software receives the latest fixes.
- Set strong passwords, particularly for important online accounts and change them regularly -consider making a diary entry to remind yourself.
- Stop and think before you click on links or attachments in emails.
- Stop and think before you share any personal or financial information-about you, your friends or family.
- Know what your children are doing online. Make sure they know how to stay safe and encourage them to report anything suspicious.
In partnership with industry, community and consumer groups and state and territory governments, the Australian Government runs an annual National Cyber Security Awareness Week. It is designed to raise awareness among Australians of cyber security risks and simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online.
On this website you can subscribe to the Stay Smart Online Alert Service, a free service that provides information on the latest computer network threats and vulnerabilities in simple, non-technical, easy to understand language. It also provides solutions to help manage these risks.
A small business self-assessment tool is available as a guide to provide your business with appropriate measures to improve your online security.
For schools and teachers, there is the Budd:e E-security Education Package, a series of media-rich learning activities developed for Australian primary and secondary schools.